Sceptre TV Remote Not Working (Proven FIX!)
There could be several reasons your Sceptre TV remote control is not working correctly. Over time, TV remotes can malfunction or stop working properly because they get dirt and dust behind the buttons.
- Here are a few common symptoms of your Sceptre TV remote not working:
- No response from the remote
- The response is delayed or slow on the screen
- Some buttons are unresponsive
- Remote light is stuck on red
Although this can be frustrating, there are several solutions that you can try to troubleshoot the issue. These fixes will work whether your Sceptre is a Smart TV and has Android TV, or you have a traditional TV.
When your Sceptre TV remote is not working, you need to power cycle the remote. Remove the cover and take the batteries out of the remote. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds. Put the batteries back in the remote and try using the remote.
Remote control needs to be reset
Resetting and power-cycling the remote fixes most user issues, so I suggest this first. It is the best solution if your remote is unresponsive or there is a delay on the screen.
1. First, remove both batteries from the Sceptre TV remote.
2. Once the batteries are removed, press and hold the power button on the remote for at least 15 seconds. Then put the batteries back in your remote and try turning on your Sceptre TV.
Hopefully, this fix worked for you. If not, try the next solution.
Check the batteries
This is a simple solution that is worth giving a try, especially if your remote is unresponsive. You may have even tried this before turning to Google!
Look around your home for new batteries or borrow them from another device you know is working. If you don’t have new or spare batteries, skip this step before ordering or going to the store. If you’re ready to order new, here is a link to Amazon to buy new batteries.
Remove the existing batteries from the Sceptre TV remote and replace them with new ones or ones you know are working from another device.
If this does not fix your issue, read on for the next solution.
Make sure the line of sight is not obstructed
Here’s one more simple solution that you may not have thought about. The remote must have a direct line of sight to the TV. If something is blocking the remote from sending information to the TV, it might not work consistently or at all.
1. Try moving any objects that could be blocking the line of sight. This could be decorative objects on your TV console.
2. Stand closer to your TV to make sure the remote and TV can communicate, and try using the remote again.
Although this will only work for a small percentage of you, it’s quick and easy to cross off the list!
If your Sceptre TV remote light is stuck on red or you can’t push a button down, then it’s possible for one or multiple buttons on your remote to be stuck. Over time it is possible for dust, grease, or grime to get behind the buttons. Just one stuck button could affect the entire remote and stop it from working properly.
To fix this, we’ll power-cycle the remote again and then try to release the buttons that are stuck.
1. Remove both batteries from the remote.
2. Once the batteries are removed, press and hold the power button on the remote for at least 15 seconds.
3. This might seem a bit goofy, but now start to press each button on the remote. Start from the top, work down the remote, and keep pressing the buttons sporadically to loosen up all the buttons. Be sure to press each button multiple times with a bit of force.
4. Next, give the whole remote a few whacks in your palm. Use your best judgment on how much force to use. Don’t break the remote, but don’t be too gentle.
5. Finally, put the batteries back into your remote and try turning on your Sceptre TV.
6. If this did not work, repeat the steps up to five times! This solution does not always work on the first try, so keep trying!
The first three solutions should work for most issues with Spectre TV remotes. If they did not work for you, some additional options are below before you consider replacing the remote or TV.
TV needs to be reset
If your remote is still not working, there are a few other steps you can take that could fix the issue. The next best option is to reset the TV. This might seem unrelated, but power cycling the TV can fix many problems and is simpler than ordering a new remote.
I previously wrote about what to do when your Sceptre TV won’t turn on with other possible fixes that you can try. I’ll include the first fix below.
1. To reset and power-cycle your television, start by unplugging it from the wall. Once unplugged, locate the power button on the TV itself.
It’s not always easy to find the power button on a TV. The most common Sceptre TV power button locations are:
- Center of the TV, underneath
- Front right of the TV, underneath
- Back of TV on the left-hand side
- Back of the TV on the right-hand side
2. Once you locate your TV’s power button, press and hold it for 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds are up, go ahead and release it. Then wait another 30 seconds before plugging your TV back in.
Pressing the power button helps drain any residual power built up inside your television’s capacitors, resulting in a proper restart.
If you’re still having an issue, see my post with Sceptre TV troubleshooting tips. There are additional fixes that may be helpful.
Contact customer support 🙁
I’m sorry to say, but the final solution may be to contact Sceptre’s customer support. They may have an additional explanation or be able to tell you if your TV is under warranty.
Replace the remote
If contacting customer support sounds worse than going to the dentist, try replacing the remote. If the TV is powering on, but your remote is not, it probably needs to be replaced.
Most replacements will cost $7 to $15 and be delivered in a few days via Amazon Prime. Confirm the replacement supports your model number before you buy it! You can find your model number on the back of the TV.
Here are two options that you can order from Amazon:
No programming or pairing is needed with a new remote. Just put two batteries in the back and you should be up and running!
When your Sceptre TV remote is not working, do the following:
- Remove batteries from Sceptre remote control and reset
- Replace the batteries
- Make sure your remote has a direct line of sight to your TV
- Trying releasing buttons that are stuck
- Unplug the TV and reset
- Contact customer service
- Replace the remote
One of these fixes will work for you! Hopefully, the first is the one!