TCL is one of the most popular manufacturers of low-budget TVs. Its models offer high-quality viewing experiences and have good lifespans, but they can still malfunction. So, what can you do if your TCL TV won’t turn on?
If your TCL TV won’t turn on, make sure all cords are connected properly. Then unplug your TV and press and hold the power button for 2 minutes. Plug the TV back in. If that doesn’t work, press and hold the reset button located on the back of the TV.
You’ve tried these steps, but they are not helping. Don’t panic. There are other options you can use to fix the problem without having to buy a new TV.
Now, let’s check what to do if your TCL TV won’t turn on.
What to Do if a TCL TV Won’t Turn On
TCL TVs are as durable as most other TVs on the market, lasting around ten years if you use them constantly. However, they are not perfect and can malfunction.
Here’s what you can do if your TCL TV won’t turn on.
1. Check All Cord Connections
The first thing you should do is check your TV’s power cord. If your TV’s cord is not properly connected to the TV or the power outlet, plug it in.
There’s a possibility that the problem is the extension or surge suppressor you are using. In that case, try connecting the TV to another outlet.
While you’re back there, just confirm that all other connections to your TCL TV are snug and secure. Sometimes I like to disconnect every cord, one-by-one and then reconnect it. This reassures me that everything is connected properly.
Pay particular attention to your HDMI cords, these tend to cause the most problems when they aren’t fully connected.
Now, turn the TV on.
If your TCL TV won’t turn on yet, don’t worry. There are more steps you can follow to fix the problem.
2. Power Cycle the TV
The last thing you can do before getting your TV serviced is initiating a power cycle. You’ll be removing all the electricity from inside the TV so that it can restart itself.
Here’s what you have to do:
- First, unplug your TV.
- Press the On button on the TV (not your remote!). Hold it down for two minutes (this drains all residual power from the TV’s capacitors).
- Now, plug the TV back in.
- You should be able to turn the TV on normally.
If the TV doesn’t turn on yet, you should consider getting it serviced.
You can contact TCL support to check if your warranty is still valid. If it is, then getting it fixed won’t cost you.
3. Reset the TV
TCL TVs have standby lights at the bottom of the machine. This light indicates whether the TV is on or off when properly connected.
It can also show you if there’s a malfunction or other related issues with the TV.
If the status light blinks when you press the On button, but the TV doesn’t turn on, you should follow these steps:
- Connect your TV.
- Locate the reset button on the back of the TV. It is a small hole in the back panel you can usually find above the USB and HDMI ports.
- Use a paper clip or something similar to press on the button. Hold it down for around 30 seconds and then release it.
- Now, try turning on your TV.
If the problem persists, try pressing the reset button multiple times without holding it down. Do it for around 30 seconds.
Note: Your TV will reset, meaning you’ll need to log in back into all of your streaming accounts.
4. Select the Correct Input Source
Your TCL TV might appear to not turn on because of an incorrect input source. You have to choose the proper input source for your TV to work correctly.
So whether you’re using a streaming device, DVD player, or a cable box, double check that your TV source/input matches the number HDMI port being used. In the example below, you’d turn the TV to “HDMI 2”.
You can select the correct input source using two different methods:
Method 1 – Enable Input Source using a Remote Control
- Turn on your TV
- Press the Source button on your remote control
- Select the desired input mode
Method 2 – Change Input Source without Remote Control
- Turn on your TV
- Press the MENU button on the side or bottom of the TV
- Use the volume button to navigate to the source option
- Press the menu button to select the desired input source
Note: Some TVs have a source button at the back or side that you can use to select your preferred input source
Common Problems With TCL TVs
TCL TVs can have some technical problems. These issues are not difficult to deal with, but they can become annoying. Here are some of the most common problems you may have with your TCL TV.
Your TCL TV Has a Backlight Problem
LED TVs work by displaying images through LED backlights. However, if one of the LEDs is not working correctly, the TV won’t turn on.
You can try to replace the defective LED manually. However, we don’t recommend this method unless you have experience with it. It is a challenging repair that can take you a lot of time.
In this situation, it would probably be better to send the TV for service.
TCL TV Disconnects from the Internet
TCL TVs have smart interfaces you can use for different streaming services like Prime Video and Netflix. However, you won’t be able to enjoy much content if the TV constantly disconnects from the internet.
If your TCL TV is having connectivity issues, you can follow these steps:
- Check if the problem is your router or your TV. You can do this by connecting another device to the internet. If it works, then the problem is your TCL TV.
- You should also ensure that the problem is not the distance between the router and the TV. Try using the WiFi on your smartphone in the same room where you have your TV.
- If the WiFi doesn’t work, you should move the router closer to the TV. You can also do it by buying a WiFi extender.
- If the problem is not solved, you should restart your TV and router.
Apps Not Working
Another recurrent problem with TCL TVs is that the apps crash during use or when launching them.
If that happens to you, you can try deleting your TV’s app cache:
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Open the Settings option.
- Select Apps.
- Select each of the apps you want to clear. You can choose them all for better results.
- Go to Clear Cache.
- Press OK.
- Now, you should restart your TV.
Note: This method will only work for TCL TVs with Android systems.
Once you’ve deleted your app cache, you’ll need to log back into all of your streaming services.
When and Where to Buy a New TCL TV
TCL TVs have lifespans of seven to ten years, but they can malfunction before that.
If you think your TV is too old or if the repair is too expensive, you should consider getting a new one.
You can find high-quality TCL TVs for under 400 USD on Amazon, eBay, or Best Buy.
If your TCL TV won’t turn on, don’t worry. There are several ways you can fix it without having to send it in for service.
Here’s what you can do:
- Ensure that the TV’s power cord, and all cords for that matter, are connected properly.
- You can perform a power cycle. All you need to do is disconnect the TV and press the On button for two minutes straight. Then, reconnect the TV and turn it on.
- Check the TV status light. If the light blinks, but it doesn’t turn on, you should reset the TV. You can do it by locating the Reset button on the back of the TV and holding it for 30 seconds.
- Make sure your TV is on the correct input source.
If you’ve tried all of these steps and your TCL TV still won’t turn on you should consider sending it in to be looked at or buying a new one.
Do you have any questions about troubleshooting your TCL TV?